Please be informed about new customs rules for sea freight shipments to Japanese ports, with the aim of enhancing security levels for international logistics in Japan.
The regulation has been named Japan 24 Hours Advance Filing Rules (AFR) and comes into force as of 10th of March 2014 in Japan. AFR requires vessel operators and NVOCCs to electronically submit manifest information for containerized cargo planned to be unloaded from a vessel in a Japanese Port.
Scope and Responsibility of Japan Advance Filing Rules
Japan Advance Filing Rules apply to all containerized cargo destined to Japan and requires submission of data 24 hours prior to departure of shipment from port of loading.
Please provide the following details in your Shipping Instructions to shipments to Japan:
- Name, full address,phone number and postcode of Consignor, Consignee and Notify Party
- Minimum 6 digit HS6 codes per cargo item
- Type and number of packages
- Seal number
- Exact cargo description – a universal description is not allowed
- IMDG Code / UN number for dangerous goods
- Gross weight
- Deadline for filing Advance Manifest
To guarantee smooth handling of your shipments, we need to receive complete Shipping Instructions at least 24 hours before cargo pick-up from your warehouse to allow accurate completion and submission to Japan Customs.
The new rules are applicable as of 10th of March 2014, 12 am Japan time.
Non compliance with the stipulated deadlines and required data results in non-loading of cargo and significant fines.
Cost for Japan 24 Hours Advance Filing
The costs for the filing will be on the shipper’s account. Please contact your local Gebruder Weiss or Weiss-Rohlig office for detailed information.
You may also refer to the following sites for more information:
- Advance Filing Rule – Bulletin Board http://www.naccscenter.com/afr/
- FAQs on Japan 24 Hours Rules http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summaryladvance/04.pdf
- Japan Customs homepage http://www.customs.go.jntenglish/summaryladvanoe/index.htm
- Data Element to be filed http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summaryladvance/annex03.pdf
- Unacceptable Cargo Description http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summaryladvance/annex09.pdf
- Authorized Service Providers for Japan Advance Filing http://www.naccscenter.com/afr/lsp.html